Listen to a debate that has nothing to do with why you thought you where meeting?
How would you like to run a meeting where there is an agenda that has only 3 topics ?
All other topics that are raised during the meeting are parked for a later date?
All the attendees know why they are invited?
Read on …
Top 5 tips to Meetings that make things Happen
- As the meeting organiser send out the agenda with the appointment invitation. ( try to keep it to 3 points)
- Have a time keeper and and a note taker. Schedule a set amount of time for each topic.
- Set expectations for how the meeting will run at the beginning of the meeting for example: ” In the interests of a meeting that gets action and to get you all out of hear on time I will be parking any off topic ideas for later discussions or meetings”.
- Ask for agreement to clarify and move the meeting along. ” So to clarify- the Xmas party is set for Friday the 16th starting at 7pm, partners are invited and the company will provide, beer, wine, juice and finger food?”
- When people raise topics not on the agenda park them. A handy phrase ” thanks for raising that important point John, in the interests of finishing this meeting on time we will put that on the review list”
email [email protected] to get yours.